Enneagram communication tips
Different personalities have subtle quirks to how they communicate, here are some tips to optimize your communication with them
Mon Feb 27 2023
Enneagram type communication tips
When it comes to interacting with Enneagram types that are different from our own, the key is to approach them with respect, curiosity, and an open mind. Remember that each Enneagram type has its unique strengths, weaknesses, and motivations, and try to understand where they’re coming from. Here are some tips for interacting effectively with each Enneagram type:
Enneagram 1 Communication Tips
Type 1s are principled, ethical, and perfectionistic. They have a strong sense of right and wrong and strive to do the right thing in all situations. However, their perfectionism can lead to rigidity and inflexibility, which can make it challenging to communicate with them.
- Be direct and clear in your communication.
- Provide constructive feedback in a supportive way.
- Emphasize how their actions align with their values and principles.
- Avoid being overly critical or nitpicky.
- Encourage them to relax and have fun.
Enneagram 2 Communication Tips
Type 2s are generous, caring, and nurturing. They have a strong desire to help others and often put the needs of others before their own. However, their desire to please others can sometimes lead to manipulation and codependency.
- Show appreciation for their help and support.
- Give them opportunities to be of service to others.
- Be empathetic and listen actively.
- Avoid being too critical or dismissive of their emotions.
- Encourage them to take care of themselves and set boundaries.
Enneagram 3 Communication Tips
Type 3s are ambitious, competitive, and driven. They have a strong desire to succeed and often measure their self-worth by their accomplishments. However, their focus on success can sometimes lead to a lack of authenticity and a tendency to prioritize image over substance.
- Be clear and concise in your communication.
- Provide opportunities for them to showcase their talents and abilities.
- Emphasize the impact of their work on the organization.
- Avoid micromanaging or overly controlling them.
- Encourage them to take breaks and rest.
Enneagram 4 Communication Tips
Type 4s are creative, emotional, and intuitive. They have a strong sense of individuality and often feel that they are different from others. However, their focus on their own emotions can sometimes lead to moodiness and self-absorption.
- Be sensitive and empathetic to their emotions.
- Encourage them to express themselves creatively.
- Avoid being too critical or dismissive of their feelings.
- Validate their unique perspective and individuality.
- Help them see the positive aspects of a situation.
Enneagram 5 Communication Tips
Type 5s are analytical, introspective, and independent. They have a strong desire for knowledge and often value their independence and privacy. However, their focus on independence can sometimes lead to a sense of detachment and a tendency to become overly withdrawn.
- Respect their need for privacy and independence.
- Give them time to process information and formulate their thoughts.
- Avoid being overly emotional or intrusive.
- Emphasize the practical implications of a situation.
- Encourage them to share their knowledge and expertise.
Enneagram 6 Communication Tips
Type 6s are loyal, responsible, and anxious. They have a strong desire for security and often value trust and loyalty in relationships. However, their focus on security can sometimes lead to a sense of fear and anxiety, which can make it challenging to communicate with them.
- Provide reassurance and support.
- Be consistent and reliable in your communication.
- Avoid being overly critical or dismissive of their fears and concerns.
- Help them see the positive aspects of a situation.
- Encourage them to make decisions and take action.
Enneagram 7 Communication Tips
Type 7s are enthusiastic, adventurous, and spontaneous. They have a strong desire for new experiences and often value their freedom and independence. However, their focus on excitement and pleasure can sometimes lead to a lack of focus and a tendency to avoid difficult or unpleasant situations.
- Provide opportunities for them to explore new ideas and possibilities.
- Be upbeat and positive in your communication.
- Encourage them to stay focused and finish tasks.
- Avoid being too critical or negative.
- Help them balance their desire for adventure with their responsibilities.
Enneagram 8 Communication Tips
Type 8s are powerful, assertive, and decisive. They have a strong desire for control and often value their independence and strength. However, their focus on control can sometimes lead to a sense of aggression and a tendency to become overly confrontational.
- Be direct and assertive in your communication.
- Respect their need for control and autonomy.
- Avoid being passive or indecisive.
- Encourage them to see different perspectives and be open to feedback.
- Help them understand the impact of their actions on others.
Enneagram 9 Communication Tips
Type 9s are peaceful, easy-going, and accommodating. They have a strong desire for harmony and often value their ability to mediate conflicts. However, their focus on harmony can sometimes lead to a lack of assertiveness and a tendency to avoid conflict altogether.
- Be patient and understanding in your communication.
- Provide opportunities for them to express their opinions and feelings.
- Avoid being too pushy or aggressive.
- Encourage them to speak up and assert themselves.
- Help them make decisions and set boundaries.
Effective communication is key to building strong relationships with others, and understanding each Enneagram type’s communication style can be incredibly helpful. By tailoring your communication to each type’s unique needs and tendencies, you can build rapport, trust, and understanding with those around you. Remember, communication is a two-way street, so be sure to also communicate your own needs and preferences clearly to others. With practice and intentionality, you can communicate more effectively with each Enneagram type and build stronger, healthier relationships in all areas of your life. Checkout this article for a deeper dive into communication styles.
Enneagram Books, Websites and Podcasts
Discover the best Enneagram books, websites, and podcasts for personal growth and understanding. Dive deeper into this powerful system today.
Enneagram Communication in Relationships
Improving Relationships through the Enneagram: Understanding Your Partner's Type for Better Communication and Intimacy
Enneagram Communication Overview
How to communicate and interact effectively with different Enneagram types
Enneagram Communication Styles
How would you describe your own communication style and which communication styles feel most familiar and foreign
Join our waitlist!
9takes is a place for exploration and shared learning, where we delve into the nuances of personality types and discuss different perspectives. If you're fascinated by the world of the Enneagram you are warmly invited join our waitlist.