Overview of Enneagram Type 7: The Enthusiast
Sat Feb 18 2023
Type 7 individuals are known for their boundless enthusiasm, optimism, and love for adventure. They have a natural ability to see the positive in everything and are always eager to try new experiences. However, this enthusiasm can sometimes lead them to overcommit, as they have a fear of missing out on anything exciting.
Enneagram 7 Description
- Optimistic and enthusiastic
- Energetic and creative
- Love to explore new ideas and experiences
- Fear of missing out (FOMO)
- Highly social and enjoy being around people
- Highly adaptable and great problem-solvers
- Struggle with commitment and follow-through
Strengths of an Enneagram 7
Type 7 individuals possess a number of strengths that make them valuable members of any team or community. These include:
- Optimism: Type 7 individuals have a positive outlook, and they have the ability to find joy and pleasure in many situations.
- Adventure: Type 7 individuals have a strong desire for new experiences and to make the most of life. They are spontaneous, and they enjoy taking risks.
- Adaptability: Type 7 individuals have the ability to adapt to changing circumstances and to find new opportunities. They are able to think outside the box and to come up with new and creative solutions to problems.
- Resourcefulness: Type 7 individuals possess a lot of energy and are very resourceful, they are able to find ways to overcome obstacles and to achieve their goals.
- Creativity: Type 7s are highly creative and love to explore new ideas and experiences. They have a natural curiosity and can be great problem-solvers, always looking for new and innovative solutions.
Weaknesses/ Challenges of an Enneagram 7
- Impulsivity: Type 7s can be impulsive and have a fear of missing out on new experiences. They may struggle with being present in the moment and can have a tendency to jump from one thing to the next.
- Lack of commitment: Type 7s can struggle with commitment and follow-through. They may become bored or lose interest in a project or relationship and move on to something new.
- Avoidance of negative emotions: Type 7s can struggle with negative emotions and may avoid dealing with them by seeking out new experiences or distracting themselves in other ways.
Motivations of an Enneagram 7
Type 7s are motivated by the desire for new experiences and adventure. They want to feel alive and engaged with the world around them. They have a fear of missing out and can struggle with feeling trapped or limited in any way. They want to be free to explore and create, and can feel restless or unhappy when they are stuck in routine or monotony.
Fears of an Enneagram 7
One of the core fears of Type 7s is the fear of being trapped or limited in their options and experiences. They have a natural desire for freedom, adventure, and exploration, and they may fear that commitments or responsibilities will limit their ability to pursue these things. As a result, they may avoid situations that feel constricting or confining, and they may struggle with commitment in relationships, careers, or other areas of their life.
Another fear of Type 7s is the fear of missing out on experiences or opportunities. They have a strong FOMO (fear of missing out) drive, and they may feel anxious or restless when they perceive that there are experiences or opportunities available to them that they are not able to access. This can sometimes lead to impulsive decision-making or a tendency to jump from one experience to another without fully considering the consequences.
Finally, Type 7s may also fear experiencing difficult or painful emotions. They may have a tendency to avoid or suppress negative feelings, preferring to focus on positive experiences and emotions. This can sometimes lead to a lack of emotional depth or intimacy in their relationships, as well as a tendency to avoid dealing with important issues or conflicts.
Their stress number is Type 1. Type 1s are principled, ethical, and perfectionistic. When they’re under stress, they might become more critical and judgmental of themselves and others, as well as rigid and inflexible in their thinking. They might also struggle with feeling anxious and overwhelmed by the demands of life. Read more about other types under stress
|Type||Characteristic role||Ego fixation||Holy idea||Trap||Basic fear||Basic desire||Temptation||Vice/Passion||Virtue||Stress/ Disintegration||Security/ Integration|
|7||Enthusiast, Epicure||Planning||Plan, Work, Wisdom||Idealism||Being unfulfilled, trapped, deprived||To be satisfied and content||Thinking fulfillment is somewhere else||Gluttony||Sobriety||1||5|
An Enneagram 7 in relationships
In relationships, Type 7s can be fun-loving, adventurous, and passionate partners. They often have a natural charm and enthusiasm that can be very attractive to others. They enjoy trying new things and exploring the world together with their partner.
However, Type 7s can also struggle with staying committed to long-term relationships. They may become restless or bored if the relationship becomes too routine or predictable. They may also struggle with dealing with difficult emotions or conflicts, preferring to avoid them or distract themselves from them.
To help Type 7s thrive in relationships, it is important for them to have a partner who shares their sense of adventure and is willing to explore new things with them. It is also helpful for their partner to be patient and understanding when they become restless or distracted. It can be helpful for Type 7s to learn to embrace difficult emotions and work on developing deeper connections with their partner, rather than just seeking out new experiences.
Learn more about other types in relationships
An Enneagram 7 in the Workplace
Type 7s can bring a lot of energy and creativity to the workplace. They are often great at generating new ideas and are skilled at brainstorming sessions. Their natural optimism and enthusiasm can also be infectious, making them valuable team members who can motivate others.
However, Type 7s can sometimes struggle with following through on commitments and staying focused on long-term goals. They may also become restless and easily bored with routine tasks. As a result, they may need extra support in staying on track and completing tasks on time.
To help Type 7s thrive in the workplace, it can be helpful to provide them with a variety of tasks and opportunities to learn new things. It can also be useful to provide regular check-ins to help them stay on track with their goals and commitments. Additionally, it can be helpful to encourage them to take breaks and engage in activities that promote creativity and imagination.
Learn more about other types in the workplace
How to Develop and Grow as a Type 7 Personality
- Learn to embrace discomfort: Type 7s tend to avoid discomfort, pain, or anything that might make them feel negative emotions. However, it is essential for Type 7s to learn how to tolerate and cope with discomfort to achieve personal growth. Engaging in mindfulness practices, such as meditation, can help Type 7s build resilience and manage negative emotions effectively.
- Set realistic goals and priorities: Type 7s often have a lot of ideas and tend to get carried away with their enthusiasm. However, it is crucial for Type 7s to prioritize their goals and focus on achieving them one at a time. Setting realistic goals and sticking to them can help Type 7s build a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.
- Develop patience and self-control: Type 7s tend to act impulsively and can struggle with self-control. However, developing patience and self-control can help Type 7s make better decisions and avoid impulsivity. Engaging in activities that require patience and focus, such as learning a new skill or practicing a musical instrument, can help Type 7s build patience and self-control.
- Learn to face and accept negative emotions: Type 7s tend to avoid negative emotions, but it is essential to learn how to face and accept them. Engaging in therapy or counseling can help Type 7s work through their emotions and develop emotional resilience.
- Practice gratitude and appreciation: Type 7s tend to focus on the future and overlook the present. However, practicing gratitude and appreciation for the present moment can help Type 7s develop a sense of contentment and fulfillment.